Monday, September 16, 2013

Treat Topper Tutorial with Halloween Girl!

Hi, everybody! Suzanne here with a treat topper tutorial to share with you featuring "Halloween Girl," one of the many cute Fall digis in the Whimsy and Stars Studio Store!
 
I know it's mid-September, but if you're planning make a bunch of these to give to friends or your child's classmates for Halloween or at a fall get-together, it's not too early to get started!
 
(Note: For this tutorial, I'm using some designer paper from my stash. That way, you can make these with paper you might already have on hand, or adapt the project for a different holiday or event!)
 
(I find it's helpful to create a document just for printing digital stamps that has a measured grid so you can resize the digis to what you need for a particular project.) I sized this digi image so it was about 2 1/2 inches in size when I cut it out.
 Here's what you'll need to make this project: 
  • Printed digital stamps (I'm using "Halloween Girl" by Whimsy and Stars Studio)
  • designer paper
  • cardstock (I'm using black smooth cardstock)
  • Circle punch (2 1/2") or metal die
  • Large metal label die (you can also use a cut file if you have one that you like; I'm using Spellbinders Labels 25)
  • Oval metal die
  • Coloring medium (markers, pencils, etc.)
  • Sentiment stamp and ink
  • Treat bags (clear or glassine/frosted)
  • Strong adhesive of your choice
  • Candy or other treat of your choice 
Optional supplies:
  • Fancy circle metal die
  • baker's twine
  • mini stapler
  • watermark ink
  • white embossing powder
  • white ink
After you print and color your images, cut them out with the circle die. I use a piece of washi tape to keep my die in place when I run it through the machine.
 
(When I color multiples of the same image for a project, I don't use as many colors as I would for a single card. I also color one section at a time on each image to keep the look similar.)
 
Die cut your large labels from black cardstock and the ovals from your designer paper.

 
Adhere the oval on top of the label and fold in half lengthwise.
 
If you want to frame the image, die cut or punch a fancy circle to fit behind the image.
 
You can also stamp your sentiment before you assemble the toppers.
 
I stamped one of my favorite Halloween sentiments with watermark ink on black cardstock, then heat embossed it with opaque white embossing powder. I hand cut the banner flag and edged it with white ink, and wiped off the extra ink to create a chalkboard look.

 
Next, fill your bag with treats! I've found the best (and easiest) way to secure the bag once the treats are inside is to fold the label over the bag and secure with a staple. You'll hide the staple with the other elements when you put everything together. (If your bag is long, fold the top down a few times and secure the topper over the folded edge.)

 
Then, layer your other pieces to finish the topper! I tied some twine on the fancy circle before adhering it to the topper base. My last step was to adhere the sentiment. I used both clear and frosted glassine bags to show you the difference between the two.


And, you're done!
 
I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial!  If you have questions about the materials or steps for this project, just let me know in the comment section below!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by today! Make sure to visit the Whimsy and Stars Studio Store to pick up "Halloween Girl" and the other super cute Fall images Mabelle has in the store!
 
Hugs,

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful tutorial and now I want some candy..lol!!

    ReplyDelete